02 03 RECAVI | Lifestyle and Review Blog: Orange is the New Black: My Year in a Women's Prison by Piper Kerman 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Orange is the New Black: My Year in a Women's Prison by Piper Kerman

34
         

           
            This book surprised me, no doubt. Grazing my fingers atop untouched book covers at tables at Barnes & Nobles - while “New Arrivals” screamed at me in bright red -  this book caught my attention. Matter of fact, it’s ‘Now on Netflix’ sticker on its cover is what mainly caught my attention. Why is Netflix, a leading monster in Internet television, taking its time to brand itself onto this book’s cover?

            As a big fan of book covers (which is totally ironic for a book worm, I know), this one I really enjoyed. It’s cover was very minimalistic and centering the color orange towards the reader with the impact of the title: “My Year In A Women’s Prison”. As you turn over the book, the layout of the summary, reviews, and biography of the author really fits it all together. The back cover has more of a vintage feeling, but it is still gorgeously adequate.
          As I repeat myself, this book undoubtedly surprised me. I took this book to be another boring biography with quality wisdom here and there – oh boy, was I wrong. This book took me by my ears and had my head down engrossed in every word. I found myself eager to wake up everyday just to enter Kerman’s experience in prison. I surprised myself by getting grumpy every moment I had to escape the book’s universe- it is a prison’s universe I’m entering after all.
         As good as Kerman’s way to story-tell, they were somewhat subjected to lose the reader. You would find yourself reading her experience with one of her cellmates, then be thrown into a memory that reminded her of said situation she was in, then back into the cellmate experience. Once you were turned back into the first story, you had no recollection of what it was in the first place. Kerman’s gift was a curse, to be exact. Her storytelling is so good in fact, that there was no precaution into throwing readers from story to story and back again.
       Also, the names! Oh golly, the names. There were so many names; it was a headache trying to keep up with who was whom. There were so many names handed out in just one chapter, you had no idea who they were when they came up later on in the book. There’d be moments when Kerman would talk about her cellmate, and I’d sit with my head cocked to my side wondering where I had heard that name before.
But, apart from a microscopic headache here and there, this book is marvelous. I highly recommend it, for when Kerman finished her year in prison, you almost feel sad. You almost hope for her to get another year so you could continue reading this addictive book.



Image Map

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

35 36 37 38